Sunday, December 31, 2006

Books

The title is bookwyrm's cave, right? So I should write about books. Tamora Pierce has a new book out. It's the beginning of a whole new series. 100 years before the Alanna books. I haven't gotten to read it yet, but I am patiently waiting. On Amazon.
I am currently reading Julie E. Czernada's Species Imperative series. It is very good. The first book is called Survival, the second Migration, and I don't know about any others. I'm about halfway through Migration. Definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys science fiction. It is very realistic, and Czerneda's aliens are wonderfully well-developed. No random, motivationless wiping out the earth. I really love her character work.
I got for Christmas a short story collection of very good science fiction. I don't think there was a story in it that I didn't like. Though the cover art was, as is common, drastically misleading. It was called Escape From Earth. Edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois. I think my favs are Incarnation Day by Walter Jon Williams and Derelict by Geoffrey A. Landis. Incarnation Day is about a culture where in order to save resources, children are raised in a virtual world. When they come of age they are downloaded into bodies and gain status as a person, but until that point they are pieces of software - and they can be erased by their owners (parents). Derelict is about kids who live in a space station sneaking off to visit the site of a wrecked station, where they discover why there is no war in space.

I am also reading a classic - The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's very interesting, but in small doses. That too, I am about halfway through.

I have a couple book reviews I should post up here sometime. At this point though, I will go do my homework. I believe I have gotten the worst of the grime of the windows and opened it up to the light.

4 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jarne said...

Hey there, missy. Can you guess who this is? You gain bonus points for linking me to blogger, I was looking for a new place to put my journal and it looks like I have found it!

I'm not sure I get Tamora Pierce's books. All of the people I've come across who read her stuff are female, no exceptions. Are her books just geared toward females or what is it?

Also, lend me this collection of short sci-fi stories. And post your book reviews!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Tick-Tick said...

Glad you've found a place.

Hm. They might well be. Yeah, I don't think I've met a guy who reads her stuff either. Probably. All but one of her main characters are female. And he shares the series with three other heroes. so yeah.
why jarne?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Jarne said...

Maybe it's just the subject matter? You told me one of the books (or series) was about a girl who disguised herself as a boy so she could be a knight. I'm guessing that a lot of the book was about the girl rising against, or going around, the conventions of a sexist male dominated society. That's probably not something that your average male could relate to.

I'm doubtful that she doesn't have many male readers just because her characters are female. I've read many books and have known many guys who've read many books with female main characters.

Why Jarne? In '03 I was joining a message board and I wanted to pick a name that I wouldn't outgrow and the name Jarne popped into my head. I've stuck with this name throughout the internet since then.

I'm pretty sure you've explained tick-tick to me before, but I can't remember.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Tick-Tick said...

heh, good point. 2 of her series are about that, but the other two (three, but they are related) really don't have much to do with that. Maybe they're tainted [g]. Oh well.

Ah. The best things never turn out to have stories behind them. Mine doesn't either. Tick-Tick is a character in an urban fantasy book. I really love the name, and she is my favorite character.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home