Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Frustrated rant

I have three and a half years to go until I go to college. If I don't decide to take a year off first. Which I probably will do. So why would I WORRY about it now? Smack the dumb freshman over the head. I don't think or worry about getting into college. I think about "how on earth will I choose the right college?" But mostly I stress out about the fact that I am interested in way too many things. Okay, this is more than about college. But college is sort of a good example. Because in college I want to study theatre, writing, journalism, astronomy, quantum physics. And just when I thought that was it - a managable, if odd array, I rediscover my interest in art. And I'm discovering more interests that weren't even in the picture before. (see earlier post about counting on fingers).

Moving away from the specificity of college, and careers, the problem is still there. I want to learn SO MANY things. I want to learn four new languages currently: Spanish, Icelandic, Gaelic, and Welsh. I want to learn sign language. I want to study people's finger counting. I want to learn physics. I want to read classics. I want to write. I want to sculpt. I want to paint. I want to act. I want to learn about nature. I want to become part of a "garage band" so that I can play music, and sing, in a smaller group and with more freedom to do what we please. I want to Do Great Things (clean up the meadow by Thorndike field). I want to improve in rock-climbing. I want to see if I am any good at teaching younger kids, because I think being a teacher would be great.
The worst of it is that I start things, but because there are so many of them, I get inspired to do something else long before I finish. Practically before I start. Now, the finish what you started stuff is fine and dandy, but by the time I finish the first thing, the other inspirations have run out too. I'm like a little kid - incredibly short attention span. And it's depressing. I'll never finish anything while it's still enjoyable. Or even get most of the way through. Or half way through. But I guess that's really no worse than feeling horrible because I never actually accomplish anything. But it takes more discipline.

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Jarne said...

I gave up worrying about college a few months ago. It really isn't worth it.
My recommendation for you is to take TWO years off before college and spend your time learning all of those neat miscellaneous things. It's looking like I'm going to have to do that as well.
The best way to stick with something ('least as far as I've seen) is to do it with someone else. If you want to get a group together with me to read classics, form a band, teaching kids something, and do undetermined Great Things, I'd really be interested.
Maybe you could combine some of them? Write a play for little kids and direct it. You got the writing and the teaching right there.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share the problem. But it sure beats not having any interests! Just.
Your list sounds so cool!
Crow

 

Post a Comment

<< Home